LUTHERAN FAMILY SERVICES
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Case Worker (Bilingual Preferred)
at LUTHERAN FAMILY SERVICES
- 07-Oct-2019 to 21-Oct-2019 (MST)
- Colorado Springs, CO, USA
- Full Time
The Family Case Worker as an agent of El Paso County Department of Human Services (DHS) providing unaccompanied minors who are placed in foster care with casework services that lead to permanency for the children.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manages all assigned cases and maintains face-to-face contact with the youth in placement with a minimum of a monthly visit in the foster home; every other month can be in the community.
- Continuously assess the safety of children in care and confers with other foster care staff when issues arise.
- Develops and coordinates therapeutic, health, educational, cross-cultural and other pertinent resources for each foster child case. Maintains contact with Casework Supervisor on permanency goals and other family or youth issues through monthly team meetings.
- Serves as the primary contact with the court system for all assigned cases. Develop court ordered treatment plan. Prepares court documents, attends and testify in court. Makes recommendations on permanency goals. Testifies if needed.
- Prepares for and attends Foster Care Reviews. Participates and schedules when needed, staffings, administrative reviews, and Team Decision-Making meetings (TDM). Participates in Lutheran Family Services team meetings.
- Prepares paperwork for Interstate Compact for Placement of Children whenever the case requires it.
- Enters all necessary information into the TRAILS system, monitors and updates information as needed. Initiates DHS billing process in TRAILS.
- Maintains written case records and prepares necessary reports on a timely basis.
- Performs diligent search for absent parent or other relatives.
- Assist in training foster parents.
- Participates in training and professional development opportunities.
- Participates in foster parent support activities as requested.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Broad knowledge of social work practice, human development, child welfare system and family systems.
- Knowledge of the legal system as it applies to child welfare.
- Skills and sensitivity in working with children and families from a variety of cultural and ethnic backgrounds with a variety of challenges.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written forms.
- Skills in crisis management, problem solving and mediation.
- Detail oriented, extensive documentation skills, organized and able to work in a multi-tasked environment.
- Ability to self-start and work well in a team setting.
- Computer skills including Microsoft Word, use of emails and the completion of computer-based forms. Experience with Trails system preferred.
- Possesses a valid Colorado driver's license; has a reliable and consistently available vehicle; and is able to regularly travel throughout the agency's service area by way of interstate highways and primary and secondary roads, including those passing through the mountainous terrain within the state and region.
- Must carry automobile liability insurance at the level of$100,000/300,000/100,000.
- Demonstrates commitment to the Mission,Values and Vision of Lutheran Family Services Rocky Mountains.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree (B. A.) in Social Work or a similar field from four-year college or university required. Two (2) year of professional caseworker/case management experience acquired after the degree in a public or private social services agency required.