Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Forge Engineer
at Ideal Industries
- # of Openings
- Regular Full-Time
A subsidiary of IDEAL INDUSTRIES INC., Western Forge produces the highest-quality metal work in the USA and is an American standard in premier hand tool craftsmanship. IDEAL INDUSTRIES, Inc. has been propelled by the principles of its founder, J. Walter Becker, for nearly a century. Since the beginning, this family-run enterprise has been committed to building ideal relationships with its customers, employees and communities, creating some of the industry’s most innovative and trusted products along the way. This commitment to quality and service will continue to spur the success of IDEAL INDUSTRIES, Inc. and its family of companies, for generations to come.
The Senior Forge Engineer is responsible for developing, implementing and maintaining methods, processes and costs for forging. In this role, the Senior Engineer will work with the forging team, heat treat personnel, quality department and other production resources to establish technology changes, work procedures, process improvements and cost savings that meet industry specifications and/or customer requirements.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter with good discipline who is data driven, organized and detail oriented as well as someone with the ability to pursue tasks independent of managerial oversight. Results will be achieved by a candidate persistent in prioritizing and managing work with a sense of urgency. Primary responsibilities include leadership of continuous improvement projects, supporting daily production needs, and implementation of quality initiatives.
The following includes a list of primary responsibilities. Other duties will be assigned by the manager to meet various business requirements.
- Forge expert for manufacturing equipment, its principle of operation, purpose, and its ability to meet product specification/requirements.
- Design hammer and press dies, tooling and fixtures
- Develop 3D part models from 2D prints using GD&T standard practices
- Capital project management for sustainment and future development
- Troubleshoot tooling and manufacturing issues
- Sourcing and procurement of production equipment
- Lead and support continuous improvement and quality improvement projects.
- Support manufacturing with a disciplined approach to problem solving (including fishbone diagrams, 6s, value stream mapping, job safety analysis, etc.) in program launches, rework and continuous improvement.
- Work with Quality Control to address quality issues and process improvements to meet customer requirements.
- Coordinate with Quality to ensure proper compliance with ISO and maintenance of work instructions, FMEAs, control plans and other documentation as required.
- Tool design, fabrication, sourcing and procurement
- Capital Project Management
- Project management, including but not limited to: project scope development, timeline development & adherence, coordinating internal and external resources, and project reporting
- Management of capital budget and expenditures
- Lead and assist with new product introduction and product scale up
- Provide process and manufacturing perspective during product development process
- Lead ramp up from low to high volume manufacturing
- Coordinate with R&D, marketing, quality and production throughout the development process.
- Support preventative and unscheduled maintenance program
- Ensure work is performed in a timely fashion
- Assist with troubleshooting and root cause analysis
- Ensure procedures are followed
- Coordinate with internal and external resources
Additional Responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following below.
- Provide technical assistance and support to our customers on an as needed basis. May include travel to customer sites, teleconferences, etc.
- Maintain product and production tooling, specifications, drawings, etc.
- Utilize change control process
- Update drawings and specifications in AutoCAD or other appropriate software
- Production floor plan and material flow drawings
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- B.S. in Engineering field required (Mechanical Engineering preferred)
- 10 to 15 years of relevant industry experience
- Processes for this position are mechanical in nature. Mechanical engineering background is strongly desirable.
- Ability to read, write, and interpret work process procedures, customer reports, and general business correspondence
- Effective project management skills
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) is desirable, but not required.
- Strong drive to learn and understanding forging concepts (steel flow, die wear, shrink, and draft); will have strong troubleshooting skills; must have solid working knowledge of geometry, trigonometry, and physics. Additional key attributes – “thinking outside the box,” being innately inquisitive, well-organized, and detail oriented. Ideal candidates will be highly motivated. Must love a fast-paced work environment to generate prints, models, hammer forge dies, trim tooling, and other support tooling.
- Ability to apply mathematical concepts such as statistics, fundamentals of plane and solid geometry, trigonometry, fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations as well as application to processes and designs
- Solid understanding of statistics and application to manufacturing processes including statistical process control (SPC), design of experiments (DOE), statistical hypothesis testing.
- Ability to identify and define problem, apply root-cause analysis techniques, and execute a resolution plan
- Follow through the entire problem solving process by reporting and documenting the outcome.
- Knowledge and capable of applying and customizing Lean Manufacturing, 5S, and Six Sigma to unique manufacturing processes
- Solid understanding of statistics and application to manufacturing processes
- Understanding of PLC and process control principles
- Knowledgeable of basic drafting principles
- Knowledgeable of basic manufacturing support systems and processes (Kan Ban, maintenance, CAD, change control, ISO, etc.)
- Fluent in AutoCAD and MS Office suite
- Familiarity with MS Access or SQL databases
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is:
- regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- stand, walk, sit and occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds.
- required vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, chemicals, and metal powders. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.