CITY OF COLORADO SPRINGS
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Internship - Public Works (Traffic Operations)
at CITY OF COLORADO SPRINGS
- Description / Position Overview
The City of Colorado Springs is seeking an intern for the Department of Public Works, Traffic Engineering Division. The intern will be providing staff assistance to the Transportation Planning Team located in Traffic Engineering and will work no more than 20 hours/week.
Normal work hours will be between the hours of 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday – Friday with flexible work hours.
Job duties may include:
- Support the planning team by responding to e-mails, phone calls, site visits and attending community events
- Citizen outreach
- Data collection and analysis
- Work order entry into a database
- Event preparation and coordination
- Development of meeting presentations
- Enhance existing program brochures and presentations
- Maintenance of the Traffic Engineering website
- Research of various techniques used by other communities for parking, neighborhood cut-through and pedestrian safety issues
- Taking meeting notes with follow-up assistance
- Research and write draft policy/guidelines
- Proficient with Microsoft Suite
- Basic knowledge of filing
- Ability to handle multiple assignments
- Strong telephone, communication, and human relation skills
- Energetic and self-motivated
- Desire to learn - you will need to become familiar with bicycle planning and traffic engineering guidelines
- Ability to work in an office setting as well as work in an outdoor environment where you may be exposed to extreme weather conditions
- Have an interest in the City of Colorado Springs and its physical development, existing and future communities, and connectivity to the greater Pikes Peak region.
- Professionally and tactfully represent the City of Colorado Springs
- Be enrolled as a full-time Junior/Senior undergraduate or graduate student
- Possess, or obtain upon hire, and maintain a valid driver's license
- The City of Colorado Springs does not provide monetary support for relocation or housing assistance to interns.
- If selected for an interview, enrollment shall be verified by providing proof of enrollment and academic good-standing from the university or college prior to the interview.
- For more information about internships, including a link to the job posting, visit: http://coloradosprings.gov/internships.
All job applicants will need to create a new login and online application (unless you already have a NEOGOV/governmentjobs.com User ID and Password). The NEOGOV application system does not allow you to edit your application after it has been submitted for a position. If you want to make changes, you may submit another application prior to the position's closing date and time listed in the job posting (Sunday, April 7, 2019, at 4:00 p.m. MDT). City Human Resources will review the last application submitted for the position. If hired, you will be required to provide proof of your eligibility to work in the United States.
Completing your application in full, including the entire work experience section, will assist Human Resources in the internship screening process. If you have no work experience, please use this area to describe your volunteer experience in college and/or in the community. If you have period(s) of unemployment, please include a brief description of what you have been doing during that time.
- Additional Information
This job announcement is not intended to include a complete listing of all responsibilities, knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with the position.
Please visit https://coloradosprings.gov/jobs and click on 'Apply for a City Career' > 'City Career Postings – Apply Now' button to complete an online application. All job applicants will need to create a new login and online application (unless you already have a NEOGOV/governmentjobs.com user ID and password).
Completing your application in full, including the entire work experience section, will assist Human Resources (HR) in the applicant screening process. Your application may not be considered if all of the information requested for each employer you list is not provided.
Our NEOGOV application system does not allow you to edit your application after it has been submitted for a position. If you want to make changes, you may submit another application prior to the position's closing date and time listed in the job posting. HR will review the last application you submit for a position.
To view the City's job classifications, including physical demands and descriptions, go to https://www.coloradosprings.gov/human-resources/page/job-classifications-descriptions.
To view the status of your application, go to http://agency.governmentjobs.com/cosprings/default.cfm.
To be notified of future career opportunities, go to http://coloradosprings.gov/jic
If hired, you will be required to provide proof of your eligibility to work in the United States.****************************************************Equal Opportunity Employer