City of Colorado Springs
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at City of Colorado Springs
Overall Job Objective
- Description / Position Overview
- The hiring salary for this position is between $5,459 and $6,554 per month.
Learn about the City of Colorado Springs as an employer and what our beautiful city has to offer as a place to live and work by clicking on the following links: http://www.choosecoloradosprings.com/
This information may change annually.
This is an excellent opportunity for a talented DNA Analyst to conduct forensic examinations of evidence submitted to the Metro Crime Lab for the purposes of identifying, collecting, and preserving samples using Forensic Serological testing methods.
Essential Job Functions - the basic job duties an employee must be able to perform:
- Perform serological testing and analyze body fluid stains and samples on a variety of evidence types related to various criminal cases
- Perform forensic DNA analysis from DNA extraction, quantification, and PCR setup, through analysis using specialized analytical instrumentation to develop DNA profiles
- Interpret analytical results of DNA testing through use of genetic typing software
- Conduct technical review of serological and DNA analysis done by other employees
- Prepare written reports summarizing results of testing and analysis
- Provide expert testimony in federal, state, and local court proceedings on actual results of serology and DNA testing conducted
- Knowledge of evidence handling and processing regulations, standards, and policies
- Knowledge of scientific principles and methods used in serological and DNA analysis
- Familiarity with ISO lab accreditation standards
- Ability to effectively communicate results of testing and analysis to investigators, attorneys, judges, and juries in written and verbal form
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with coursework in biology, chemistry, forensic science, or a related field, including coursework in the areas of biochemistry, genetics, molecular biology, statistics and/or population genetics, or other subjects that provide a basic knowledge of the foundation of forensic DNA analysis
- Three years of experience in a laboratory performing serological testing/screening and STR forensic DNA testing for the identification and evaluation of biological evidence in criminal matters, including the successful analysis of a range of samples typically encountered in forensic casework
- Graduate degree in related field
- Demonstrated knowledge of and adherence to necessary DNA discipline specific requirements (continuing education, proficiency testing, etc.) for ISO/IEC 17025 and CODIS/NDIS participation requirements
- Three or more years of case experience in an accredited DNA laboratory performing serological examination and DNA analysis
- Experience with Organic, Chelex, and Robotic extraction methods, ABI 3130 Genetic Analyzer, ABI 7500 RT PCR instrument (QuantiFiler Duo or Trio), IdentiFiler, IdentiFiler Plus, MiniFiler, and/or GlobalFiler amplification systems, GeneMapper ID-X software and STRMix or other probabilistic genotyping analysis software
- Experience validating serological test methods, DNA instrumentation, software, and extraction protocols, CODIS entry, and use of PopStats
- Experience as a CODIS Administrator or backup CODIS Administrator
- Experience utilizing JusticeTrax LIMS during case work, and statistics/metrics customization of turnaround times, etc.
- Experience with courtroom testimony
- Additional Information
- Environmental Conditions - Work is performed in an office or laboratory setting and includes working with biohazardous materials, mildly toxic or corrosive chemicals, and instrumentation carrying high voltages.
The job offer will be contingent upon successful completion of a polygraph examination, extensive background check, and other pre-employment assessments.
Applicants that have used marijuana within 18 months from the posting closing date will not be eligible for hire. More information about the Colorado Springs Police Department's Marijuana Use Policy can be found at https://coloradosprings.gov/police-department/page/marijuana-use?mlid=5091
This job announcement is not intended to include a complete listing of all responsibilities, knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with the position.
Please visit https://coloradosprings.gov/jobs and click on 'Apply for a City Career' > 'City Career Postings - Apply Now' button to complete an online application. All job applicants will need to create a new login and online application (unless you already have a NEOGOV/governmentjobs.com user ID and password).
Completing your application in full, including the entire work experience section, will assist Human Resources (HR) in the applicant screening process. Your application may not be considered if all of the information requested for each employer you list is not provided.
Our NEOGOV application system does not allow you to edit your application after it has been submitted for a position. If you want to make changes, you may submit another application prior to the position's closing date and time listed in the job posting. HR will review the last application you submit for a position.
To view the City's job classifications, including physical demands and descriptions, go to https://www.coloradosprings.gov/human-resources/page/job-classifications-descriptions.
To view the status of your application, go to http://agency.governmentjobs.com/cosprings/default.cfm.
To be notified of future career opportunities, go to http://coloradosprings.gov/jic
If hired, you will be required to provide proof of your eligibility to work in the United States.****************************************************
Equal Opportunity Employer
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!